Lesson # 1
Aim: How did people live before the Industrial Revolution?
Lesson # 2
Lesson # 3
Aim: What factors enable a nation to experience an Industrial Revolution?
CO: 508-515 CN: 498-504 P: 633-637 PIR: 633-637 PIB: 717-722
- Define the following terms: a. Industrial Revolution b. Domestic System c. Factory System d. Agricultural Revolution
- Explain why England was the first nation to experience the Industrial Revolution.
- Debate which inventions of the period were the most important.
Lesson # 4
Aim: What are the attributes of an industrial city?
What are the attributes of an industrial city?
CO: 516-520 CN: 505-509 P: 638-642 PIR: 638-642 PIB: 723-728
- Define the following terms: a. rural b. urban
- Explain two ways in which urban life differed from rural life.
Choose one of the following: Use evidence to back up your letter.
- A. Imagine you just moved to an industrial city, write a letter to your friends back home explaining the benefits of living in an Industrial city.
- B. Imagine you just moved to an industrial city, write a letter to your friends back home explaining the problems of living in an Industrial city.
Lesson # 5
Aim: Why did working conditions improve in industrialized nations?
Why did working conditions improve in industrialized nations?
CO: 563-570 CN: 552-561 P: 650-652 PIR: 650-652 PIB: 738-740
- Explain how labor unions helped improve working conditions.
- Discuss ways in which women benefited and were hurt by the Industrial Revolution.
- Give examples of other positive improvements for workers in the late 1800’s.
- Compare and contrast the way women and men were treated during this period.
- Debate the positive and negative effects of the Industrial Revolution.
A. In a 3-4 paragraph essay answer the following question: Was the Industrial Revolution positive or negative? Explain fully using evidence.
Lesson # 5
Why were the ideas of Karl Marx important in history?
CO: 522-523 CN: 512-513 P: 648-652 PIR: 648-652 PIB: 736-738
- Define: a. capitalism b. bourgeoisie c. proletariat d. socialism e. communism
- Explain Marx’s ideas such as socialism and communism.
- Analyze the differences between capitalism and communism.
- Explain how Marx’s theories influenced countries like Russia and China.
- A. Historical Research: In a 3-4 paragraph essay answer the following question. The ideas of communism and socialism were created in the mid-1800s but were not relevant until the twentieth century. Find one twentieth century leader that was influenced by Marx and explain how they used his ideas?
Lesson # 6
Do not have to write notes
Who was responsible for the Great Famine?
CO: 614-615 CN: 600-602 P: 667-668 PIR: 667-668 PIB: 754-755
- Explain how each of the following contributed to the birth of nationalism in Ireland: a. British Rule b. the Great Hunger
- Debate the policies of Great Britain that led to the Great Hunger.
- Explain the impact of the Great Hunger on Ireland and their relationship with Britain.